Wednesday 22 July 2009

Flying Ant Day


Hello again,


Last Thursday was "Flying Ant Day". I don't know if this really does only happen once a year but it certainly seems to be the case. On a warm, humid evening the little critters come piling out of their nest and swarm into the sky, presumably hoping for a better life, more choices and a home of their own.


This year we had the biggest swarm of the little winged fellas I have ever seen. Next to a low wall in my front garden, adjacent to the footpath we had a mass exodus of Bigglesed insects. Certainly hundreds but more likely thousands of them fled their nest and wafted up into the sky, or at least that was the intention. They were everywhere; in the sky, on th footpath, all over my car, all over me (when I took the photo), everywhere.


I guess the mortality rate for a flying ant is high; it being their maiden flight and with no maps or satnav, where would you go? what would you be looking for?. I also imagine it is an annual feast for the insect eating birds like Blackbirds and Robins who must sit around just waiting for dinner to be served.
It must work though, a few of the brave little beasties must make it to their chosen destination because it persists and every year we still have a Flying Ant Day. Bravo them...
Until next time...

No comments: